Re: Defining your role [Ref:C457733]

Subject: Re: Defining your role [Ref:C457733]
From: Tom Tomasovic <Tom -dot- Tomasovic -at- NATWEST-PLC-NY -dot- NWMARKETS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 02:59:44 +0000

Ginna et al:

I have been watching this thread for the past few minutes with great
interest, and I am most gratified at what I have seen. The replies are
what I would have written (if I had stopped reading long enough to write).

After three years here, I am still certain there are a lot of people with
whom I work who have very little idea of what I do and its value. I wish
someone (me included) had had the opportunity at any point to tell my
"colleagues" what my place is. It's very hard to get your point across or
have your opinion respected if people have no idea why you are there. Tell
them!!! And while you are at it, grab as much responsibility as you can.
If someone is uncomfortable with your ideas, they will be forced to bring
it out into the open and not just ignore you.

A lot of defining what you do is not about justifying your existence.
People may just need a clear picture of how a new set of requirements will
affect their responsibilities. Think positive!!!

BTW, another part of my existence here is DETAILING and RATING what I have
done every year and what I plan to do in the upcoming year. This
information is reviewed and approved by my superiors and goes into my
personnel file. My boss and his boss are also required to do the same.
(That takes us up to the level of the head of the Bank in North America,
and it wouldn't surprise me if he also had to do it.)

Good luck

Regards,

Tom <<Tom -dot- Tomasovic -at- NATWEST-PLC-NY -dot- nwmarkets -dot- com>>

You should be aware that the information contained within this message is
solely the opinion of the writer (me). The people at NatWest have little
control over how I express myself, and they should not be held responsible
for anything I say (unless, of course, I express it as a corporate
opinion).

Subject: Defining your role [Ref:C457733]
Author: INTERNET TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU at Multimessage
Date: 12/3/96 7:18 PM

...The manager told me yesterday that I need to 'bring the programmers and
customer support people on board.' To that end, he has asked me to write
the 'definitive documentation on documentation' (yes, that's a quote). In
other words, defend my existence and job to the rest of the team....

Am I wrong in being uncomfortable with this?

Ginna Watts | gwatts -at- pim -dot- bc -dot- ca