User demographic info query

Subject: User demographic info query
From: Natalie K Griffith <grif0028 -at- MAROON -dot- TC -dot- UMN -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 08:42:43 -0600

Greetings:

IÕm looking for some good sources for user demographic info -
particularly anything that would indicate trends in regards to what
hardware and communication applications people are using in the U.S. and
abroad. IÕm sure there are some good web sites, and there may be other
excellent sources as well. What do you know tech-whirlers? Read on if
you need to know more to answer this query.

The educational institution I work for is initiating a 5 year strategic
plan to coordinate all of our publication (public relations, student
services, marketing) efforts in terms of timing, content and design.
This seems like it should always have been this way, but our 250 plus
separate departments, offices, institutes and colleges have always
operated independently - for some good reasons. Now, of course this is
much more complex than IÕve painted here, but thatÕs the brief synopsis

One looming question for the project is how we decide upon the
appropriate and effective use of various technology based communication
media, particularly the web and whatever else we can deliver to desk-top
computers. Our target audiences are prospective students and their
parents, currently enrolled students and their parents, graduating
students and graduates - and multiply that by non-U.S. populations.

How do we know what communication technology people have access to? Who
of these groups own or have access to and use what hardware and
communication software?

Thanks in advance for any help - I know IÕm tapping one of the best
resources around when I query this group!

Natalie Griffith
Editor at the Institute of International Studies and Programs
grif0028 -at- tc -dot- umn -dot- edu
612-624-0557