Using MS Word 7 with Long and Large documents

Subject: Using MS Word 7 with Long and Large documents
From: William Warner <Bill -dot- Warner -at- RELIASTAR -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 09:34:20 -0600

Tech Writer Colleagues,

HELP!

Problem: In MS Word for Windows 95--each of our tech writers work
with very long (up to 600 pages) and large (numerous bitmaps)
documents. Each of us have tried various solutions and work-arounds
with little success in terms of accurate table of contents,
captions/figures, pagination, etc. Over a year ago, I utilized the
Reference Document approach and the Master document/subdocument
approach in MS Word 6. I was not impressed with either approach.
What do you recommend?

What are the pros and cons of using a Reference Document
versus a Master Document and subdocuments?

The approach I take should span all the MS Word docs for
the: TOC, captions/figures numbering, pagination.

Bill Warner, Ph.D.
Senior Technical Writer
ReliaStar Financial
Minneapolis, Minnesota