Re: Survey: Which DTP do you use?

Subject: Re: Survey: Which DTP do you use?
From: "Ridder, Fred" <ridderf -at- DIALOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 18:19:49 -0500

> A recent thread on TECHWR-L debates which is the most commonly used
desktop
> publishing package.

> Send me a mail indicating your DTP. I'll tabulate the responses and
post.
> We'll leave this survey open for one week.

It may be a matter of definitions, but I wouldn't say that the thread
has been about desktop publishing (DTP) packages. To me, this label
applies to packages like Pagemaker and Quark Express, which are loaded
with layout-oriented features that may or may not be relevant to the
production of technical documentation. To me, DTP packages are most
useful as tools for design rather than tools for writing. Most of the
thread has been about high-end writing tools that can handle large,
structured documents.

It should be interesting to read what kind of results your survey
produces, though.

Fred Ridder
Dialogic Corporation
ridderf -at- dialogic -dot- com