Re: FrameMaker Discrepancy

Subject: Re: FrameMaker Discrepancy
From: Win Day <winday -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 07:10:19 -0500

At 04:29 PM 12/4/96 -0600, Eric Haddock wrote:
> How can there be two so divergent views about this application? Some say
>you can't call yourself a TW without living in Frame, and others, from
>students to already employed TWs, either haven't heard of it before or
>don't personally know anyone who uses it.
> A lack of training availability, a lack of requirements for Frame
>proficiency for jobs, and a lack information, have all been addressed by
>list readers. If Frame is _it_ for technical writing, how could these
>conditions exist?

> Perhaps it's a regional thing? Are there more people using Frame in,
>say, California than there are in say the midwest or Canada?

> Where are you? Do you and your colleagues use Frame as the main tool?

I'm currently living in Mississauga, Ontario, a suburb of Toronto. I lived
and worked in Calgary, Alberta until August 94. Neither location is a
hotbed of Frame usage.

A possible cause of the discrepancy might be the final use of, and
production methods for, our documents. How many of us create documents
either for internal use or for single-copy issue to one client? That's what
I do. My reports and manuals are either aimed directly at my clients' own
employees, or are issued one, maybe two copies at a time to their clients.
None of my stuff is mass-produced for outside audiences.

I produce large, complex, highly technical documents for a very small
audience. We don't need Frame; Word can handle our needs just fine, thank
you very much.

Win
Win Day
Technical Writer/Editor