Re: DTP Shootout

Subject: Re: DTP Shootout
From: "Wayne J. Douglass" <wayned -at- VERITY -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 12:00:10 -0800

At 12:51 PM 12/5/96 EST, Don Smith wrote:
> They have just released version 7 which I guess is what Alex was
> referring to. I will order the update and hope that it is everything
> they say it is. I (and the writers I work with) really hope that it is
> good and helps Corel Ventura restore some of the greatness of the old
> Xerox "Ventura Publisher".

I don't know about anybody else, but my feeling is that there damned few
good things to come out of Xerox's purchasing of VP. I was a member of the
Ventura Publisher User's Group, which met at a Xerox facility in Santa
Clara, CA, and there were howls of dismay the night Xerox announced that
they were buying VP outright (they had previously entered into a
distribution agreement with Ventura Software). In our heart of hearts we
knew that Xerox would screw up a perfectly good product--again. And we were
right. Except for its clumsy port to Windows, Xerox did little but submit
the product (and the users) to its peculiar version of the Chinese water
torture.

I welcomed the sale to Corel, which ironically got its start selling
graphics add-ins to Ventura, as the only hope for the program. I, too, plan
to buy the upgrade. It looked pretty good at Seybold and the reviews have
been positive. More irony: the upgrade package includes WordPerfect!

--Wayne Douglass
Verity, Inc. Email: wayned -at- verity -dot- com
894 Ross Drive Telephone: 408-542-2139
Sunnyvale, CA 94089 Facsimile: 408-542-2040