Re: Houston Area Jobs

Subject: Re: Houston Area Jobs
From: David Locke <dlocke -at- PHOENIX -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 21:06:43 -0600

At 01:10 PM 12/6/96 -0600, you wrote:

>I have been a technical writer for 15 years. My degree is in journalism
>and that is where I got my start: working for small newspapers and later,
>freelancing in addition to tech writing, for business journals.

Look somebody GAVE you your first TW job. The day is coming real soon where
you won't be able to get a job without a TW degree. And, guess what you
would be out of luck.

>During the years, I have become progressively appalled and disgusted with
>the lack of professionalism in this field.

In one of my past jobs, I was appalled by what a predecessor left me to
clean up. But, after I had been there a while and was asked by management
to make too many compromises, getting lied to about content, and working
with klugey tools, I moved on. The people who came in after me are now out
spreading the word about MY WORK. They were the lucky beneficiaries of my
battles. They now have a department, and a documentation manager. Sometimes
what looks like poor work is really the result of poor management. And,
just because its different for you doesn't mean a thing. Just count your
blessings.

>I have pushed hard for certiification among the ranks of STC.

I suppose you would, since it would keep people like yourself from entering
the field. And, being exclusionary works once your inside.

There have to be entry levels in this field, because nobody has designed
the perfect degree plan and nobody can agree on what this field is really
about.

English teachers should have as fair a shot as journalists. And, by the
way, you would have made a lot less money as a journalist.

David

locke -at- phoenix -dot- net
(409)925-8012