Concept Virus - More

Subject: Concept Virus - More
From: Kim Wallace <kwallace -at- NEOSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 10:05:06 -0600

Users can prevent infection by the Concept virus by changing their template
directory & files to read-only. This protects your NORMAL.DOT if you open a
file with the virus, because Word will prompt you about saving the changes
to the global template (to which you will of course say NO).

Microsoft offers an "inoculating" macro called Scan-Prot. This macro runs
when you execute File/Open in MSWORD and scans the file for the Concept
virus. It will clean up the file for you by prompting you to open it
without macros, and allowing you to perform a "save as" to save the file
under its original name.

BTW, versions of the Concept virus here have also been accompanied by
another virus called WAZZU. It puts the word WAZZU in Word documents. You
can remove this virus with your virus-scan software (McAfee's latest release
can do it).

Be ware everyone - Concept is not a terrible virus, but it is invasive. It
infected over 250 computers in my company in less than a month.

Good luck!
Kim Wallace
Enserch Energy Services, Inc.
I've never failed to make my opinions my own. I won't stop now.