Re[2]: Agency and interviewing questions

Subject: Re[2]: Agency and interviewing questions
From: Melissa Hunter-Kilmer <mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 13:08:36 EST

Linda Castellani (castle -at- crl -dot- com) wrote:

> What do you, Melissa (or any of you), look for when someone submits samples,
that lets you know whether or not they are worth interviewing? What impresses
you? What guarantees a call from you?

When the agent sends samples to me, she asks what I'm looking for. In this
case, I tell her that I want to see user guides, quick reference cards, anything
written to the end user.

I examine these samples with an eye to spelling, grammar, obvious stuff like
that; layout and design; choice of font and size; and general style.

It makes me very happy to see a sample that had no mistakes in spelling, etc. --
this does occasionally happen. I see a lot of mistakes in tense, hyphenation,
and spacing. Those discourage me, but they aren't necessarily a deal-killer,
because we can proof them.

I also love to see samples with wonderful design -- enough white space,
judicious use of graphics, etc.

Mostly I look for clear writing geared to an end user. That's the bottom line.

You might be concerned that repeated faxing would blur your work. It does, but
I know that it looked better before it was faxed. I can still tell what it
looked like originally. *All* the samples I see are blurred, so that isn't a
problem.

Several posters have said that they don't want to give their precious
one-of-a-kind samples to an agency and some have said that agencies have lost
their stuff. I understand these concerns, but can't one give a copy to the
agent? Then it won't matter if the stuff is lost.

Looking forward to more feedback on this subject. This has been a very
instructive thread for me and I appreciate the effort that all respondents have
put into it!

Melissa Hunter-Kilmer
mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com
(standard disclaimer)