Re: Houston Area Jobs

Subject: Re: Houston Area Jobs
From: "Wing, Michael J" <mjwing -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 18:03:48 -0600

>----------

I also agree that it is a microscopic view. I'll also add that it is a
non-substantiated view, maybe even self-serving.

It would be interesting, though, if a TW degree had been required since
the profession started. I worked in a department of 28 about 5 years
ago (writers, graphic artists, and managers). In this department I knew
of:

3 writers with a degree in Education
2 ex-musicians, one a former college music professor
1 writer with a degree in Mathematics
2 writers with a degree in Business
4 or 5 writers with a degree in English
1 writer with a degree in Geology
1 writer with a degree in Geography
2 writers with a degree in Communications (not Technical Writing)
1 writer with a degree in Electrical Engineering
1 writer with a degree in foreign languages

I have since been in or affiliated with several other writing
departments (from 8 to 32 members). I can't think of more than 4 people
with a TW degree. I have, however, come across writers who in their
last jobs were:

Programmers
Secretaries
Trainers
Testers
Sales/Marketing
Geologists
Cartographers
Mechanical Designers/Architectural Engineers
and one former FBI agent

Mike