Re: Agency and interviewing questions

Subject: Re: Agency and interviewing questions
From: "Nancy B. Delain" <nbdelain -at- ALBANY -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 07:52:48 -0500

Camille,

I disagree with you that anyone who's been a tech writer (or even a student
of technical writing) has a complete package of writing samples. I've been
a tech writer for 15 years, I have a M.S. in technical writing from
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (15 years old now), I've written some
really neat stuff, and I can't show any of it. Nondisclosure agreements
interfere. I don't wanna go to jail; I have a life that does NOT include
prison. I don't have the money or the time to spend in defending a
breach-of-confidentiality lawsuit.

Leave a writing sample with an agency??! Not!! Again, confidentiality
agreements come into play.

Testing by agencies is a good idea; I wish more of them would do it. Most
of my jobs come from people I've worked with before, so it may or may not
apply to me, but I've been on the job with some real ditzes whom testing
would have weeded out.

Experience can also be gotten at by the potential client by requesting
references, and then following up on them. The references, who generally
own the documentation prepared by the technical writer, should be the ones
to share the doc. with any potential client -- or not. Contract tech
writers have no ownership of their product, and generally have no right to
show it around, unless that right is specifically negotiated with each and
every client.

Nancy Baum Delain
Delain Associates