Re: tests

Subject: Re: tests
From: Ruth Glaser <ruthg -at- GORETEK -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 09:43:02 -0600

Here's a twist on the subject of testing job applicants: Not only is this a good
way for employers to screen candidates, but it also is a *great* way for you
as a candidate to screen the employer.

Several years ago, a woman interviewing me subjected me to several tests,
including a sort of "computer knowledge" quiz, which contained these (and
other) questions:

1. What would you do if your screen suddenly went blank?
2. What's the difference between a serial and a parallel printer?

To the first question I responded that I'd basically troubleshoot: check
cable connections, power supply, etc. The "correct" response according
to the interviewer was "to reboot."

The correct answer to the second question was, "The parallel printer is
on my desk, and the serial printer is down the hall."

In this test the interviewer revealed to me that her knowledge of computers
was minuscule at best, and that she was quite confident in her ignorance.
These were characteristics that I was not looking for in a boss.

If you are tested or are developing a test, might I suggest that you scrutinize
it as one scrutinizes writing samples and resumes. Tests can be quite
revealing for the giver and the taker!

Ruth
ruthg -at- goretek -dot- com

Ruth T. Glaser