Test ideas

Subject: Test ideas
From: Roger Morency <rogerm -at- ONTARIO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 10:19:28 -0500

Let's move this topic on to a discussion of what would make a good test. A
company that I have worked for would ask candidates to write a procedure
for changing the time and date on a Windows 95 PC. The writer would have
one hour to complete the task. The candidate was told to assume nothing.
The interviewer was the subject matter expert. A PC was provided with
Windows 95 and the word processing/page layout application used by the
company. The interviewer would observe the process and look for things
like:

1) Did the candidate ask for a style guide or a sample ?

2) Did the candidate ask any questions about the audience he was writing for ?

3) Did the candidate complete the task in a timely manner?

4) Did the candidate look comfortable using the tools provided?

5) Were the procedures complete?

etc.

Although this form of testing is a bit time consuming, it does tend to weed
out some undesirable candidates. As I told a former coworker of mine, one
candidate started looking on the back of the PC for a knob to turn to
change the time!

Any other ideas for a good and quick test of technical writing skills?

Roger