Agency and interviewing questions

Subject: Agency and interviewing questions
From: Melissa Hunter-Kilmer <mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 10:29:39 EST

I would like to thank all of you who have posted on this issue, either privately
or to the list. I have learned a very great deal from this thread.

I've made three decisions:

1. I'm not going to ask for writing samples in advance any more. I *will* ask
for samples to be brought to the interview. If a writer has been doing nothing
but proprietary stuff for the last ten years, that writer will have to have
produced something for me to look at -- a soccer handbook, directions for
setting up the church fair dunk tank, something. I have to see some writing, or
I can't recommend a hire.

2. Font and size don't matter to me as much as I had thought. All the comments
on this topic made me see the error of my ways. :-)

3. Two things matter enormously: clear writing style and can-do, cooperative
attitude. If you've got those, I don't care if you never graduated from grade
school.

I have developed a great deal professionally because of the valuable information
we share on this list. Eric, it was a good day's work when you started it.

Melissa Hunter-Kilmer
mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com
(standard disclaimer)