STC (RE: Certification vs. Experience)

Subject: STC (RE: Certification vs. Experience)
From: Eric Haddock <eric -at- ENGAGENET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 12:58:51 -0600

>One of their members in Texas admits on this list that many of their
leadership is incompetent.

No, someone in Texas doesn't like one or more of the chairpeople of his
or her chapter and voiced that opinion. It's not a fact that the STC
leadership is incompetent.
The STC is a large organization and blanket statements like that hardly
serve any constructive purpose.

>I'm sure that is true in many other areas as well.

You're _sure_ of this, hmm? Based on what?

Most of what I see students learning are things that would
get them fired if they even attempted to do them on a real job, yet
they remain woefully ignorant of the basics of what we do every day.

What do you actually see students learning that would get them fired on
a real job?

Technical writing is a diverse field with diverse people, each with
varying levels and kinds of experience, competence, and opinions. It's
pointless to make sweeping statements about academia, students, and the STC
because they're each too large and comprised of too many different kinds
people to warrant the kind of unwarranted maligning you expressed here.

The tone of your email makes me think that you're not a member of STC.
I'm surprised that you (or anyone really) would be so critical of something
you seem to be so inexperienced with.

Eric Haddock ---- http://personal.pitnet.net (temporary URL)
Technical Writer
Engage Networks --- http://www.engagenet.com
Located in the Historic Third Ward of Milwaukee, Wisconsin

My dream: Cocoa beaches with M&M shells on chocolate seas