Sense of Humor Testing

Subject: Sense of Humor Testing
From: Susan Holbert <susanh -at- WORLD -dot- STD -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 16:27:18 -0500

Mr. Arrants asks:
Let's review.....
1. A posting against the guidelines goes out to the list.
2. I point this out.
3. I get 'chastised' for being mean.

Hello. Is something missing here?

Yes. Something is missing. The sarcastic comment "When can we expect your
postings on the latest email virus?" was entirely gratuitous.

I post this to the list and not to Mr. Arrants, because Mr. Arrants is not
alone in making this kind of response. If anyone doesn't agree with
something someone has said, just say so. Stomping on the person only makes
other people afraid to post to the list and gives this listserve the
atmosphere of a Paper Jungle.

Writing personal off-line chastisements also sets one individual up as a
censor of the entire list. Subscribers cannot make this listserve into their
own tightly controlled domain. There are people in the workplace who don't
interest you: this will also happen on the listserve. What is not of
interest to you may be fascinating to someone else. It is unrealisitic (and
undemocratic) to try to police the list so that no message will ever bore you.

Respect for diversity of opinion, taste, and interests is just as
important as respect for other types of diversity.

Susan Holbert

"Indexing workshops and videos"
http://www.abbington.com/holbert