Word hunt summary/agnomen

Subject: Word hunt summary/agnomen
From: bkane -at- ARTISOFT -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 16:12:22 MTN

Sorry I'm so late posting this summary (some people had asked me to
post the summary to the list).
Here's the original query:

>Hello,
>A fellow tech writer has asked me to pose this question to the list:
>I'm searching for a word that means "the thing you're named after."
>Not namesake--that's the other way around. This would be like: the
>State of Indiana was Indiana Jones' ______________.

I gave my TW friend all the answers, and here is his conclusion:

We have a winner!
"Agnomen," from the list provided by Kathy Kearney
Moore, is it! True, it doesn't fit my Indiana Jones
example, but the example was a little off to start
with. For the actual use I have in mind, "agnomen" is
perfect.
Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions!
--Matt
Here are other words offered by the tech writers, in
case you were wondering:

Progenitor
eponym
Antecedent
Prototype
Forerunner
Precursor
moniker
nom de plume
patronymic
appellation
arch-type
anti-type
And here is Kathy Kearney Moore's submission (grabbed from the Internet)
in its entirety:
#564. Nomenclature. -- N. nomenclature; naming &c. v.; nuncupation|,
nomination, baptism; orismology[obs3]; onomatopoeia;
antonomasia[obs3].
name; appelation[obs3], appelative[obs3]; designation, title; heading,
rubric; caption; denomination; by-name, epithet.
style, proper name; praenomen[Lat], AGNOMEN[obs3], cognomen;
patronymic, surname; cognomination[obs3]; eponym; compellation[obs3],
description, antonym; empty title, empty name; handle to one's name;
namesake.
term, expression, noun;.byword; convertible terms &c. 522; technical
term; cant &c. 563.
V. name, call, term, denominate designate, style, entitle,
clepe[obs3], dub, christen, baptize, characterize, specify, define,
distinguish by the name of; label &c. (mark) 550.
be -called &c v.; take the name of, bean the name of, go by the name
of, be known by the name of, go under the name of, pass under the name
of, rejoice in the name of.
Adj. named &c. v.; hight[obs3], ycleped, known as; what one may well,
call fairly, call properly, call fitly.
nuncupatory[obs3], nuncupative; cognominal[obs3], titular, nominal,
orismological[obs3].
Phr. "beggar'd all description" [Antony and Cleopatra].