Re: Ebonic Plague

Subject: Re: Ebonic Plague
From: Chris Hamilton <chamilton -at- GR -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 15:52:50 -0600

Well, a holly, jolly Christmas to everyone.

For heaven's sake, why does a discussion like this always have to erode
to name-calling. One the one side we have stereotyped references to lazy
welfare recipients and on the other side we have the ever-present cries
of racism.

There is a legitimate issue under all this vitriole. We must all agree
that the language evolves and must evolve. The profession in which we
work is proof enough of that. It forced language to evolve to satisfy
technological requirements. This discussion is about welfare queens or
white guys listening to the McVeigh-Duke Newshour on shortwave radio.
It's about the extent to which and the circumstances under which the
language should evolve. And the discussion might be useful if it were
handled that way.

Respectfully submitted,
Chris

--