Fwd: what to call it?

Subject: Fwd: what to call it?
From: Bill Hartzer <Highfield -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 13:26:21 -0500

What determines the name of the guide/manual you're putting together?

1 - the content of it determines what it's called. if it's an
administrator's reference guide, that's what it should be called. If a
general user will read it, it's a user's guide.

2 - the purpose of the guide determines the title. What will the reader of
this information use the information to do? Will it help them USE the guide?
Is it just REFERENCE material? This goes along with #1 above.

3 - the overall tone of the guide also can determine the name of the it. If
the content is stuffy, difficult to read, and generally has textbook-type
tone to it, it should be called a MANUAL. If the content is fun to read yet
informative, it should be called a user guide or a 'GUIDE TO HELP YOU GET
THAT THING WORKING' guide.

Of course, these are MY opinions and the opinions of my company, Highfield
Marketing Group, Inc. I own the company. I can say what I want. :-)

Cheerfully,
Bill Hartzer
Highfield Marketing Group, Inc.
Dallas, Texas