Re: Documentation Group needs advice!

Subject: Re: Documentation Group needs advice!
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 23:18:10 -0800

On Sat, 4 Jan 1997 16:11:07 -0500, Bruce Byfield wrote:

>>A drawback to Frame is the harsh learning curve. You will >need at least one
>>person on staff who knows the program well. Hire one or >train one. There is no substitute.
>
>I wonder if Frame's learning curve isn't more mythical than real
>nowadays. Three or four years ago, Frame would have been very different
>from the average word processor. However, in the last couple of years,
>Frame-like features have crept into other word processors. As a result,
>the transition to Frame is probably easier than it was.

I think it's largely relative as well -- how hard it is to learn a new
program depends on how different it is from what you're used to. Case
in point: When OS/2 first came out with the Workplace Shell (v2.0), the
complaint (excuse?) was always that the interface was too difficult to
learn and that the Windows interface (Program Manager) was far easier,
more intuitive, etc. (of course, that went out the window - pardon the
pun - when Win95 copied heavily from OS/2's interface).

Well, my first experience with Windows was with v3.0, and being used to
the Atari 1040ST's desktop, I got lost within minutes. Switching to
OS/2 2.0 on that system meant navigating the system came a LOT easier.

I recently set up a friend with his first PC, after he'd been using an
Atari 520ST for years. He clunked around the Program Manager for a
while too, until I installed IBM's freeware Workplace Shell for
Windows. It took a little learning as well, especially as he was just
starting to get a grasp on the Program Manager, but he got up to speed
on it a LOT faster than he had with Progman.

It's as much a matter of UN-learning some of what you already know, as
it is of learning something new.

As Bruce points out, the differences - and with them, the learning
curve - are diminishing between these apps.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<insert standard disclaimer here>