Food for Thought

Subject: Food for Thought
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 09:26:46 -0600

Back before Christmas, I asked the list for assistance with
a project to distribute a file for printing via Adobe
Acrobat. The result is "Food for Thought", a free for the
downloading cookbook.

Some 50 editors from the copyediting-l mailing list
contributed enough recipes to fill an 80-page,
professionally laid out cookbook that we've donated to
charity. Any charitable cause can download the cookbook and
produce it at whatever level of quality their budget
permits: from 300 dpi laser plus photocopying, right up to
2400 dpi filmsetter plus offset printing and perfect
binding. Charities can sell the book and keep the proceeds
to fund their activities. There are no royalties and no
strings attached whatsoever, as this is a charitable
donation by the contributors. Our original goal was to
support literacy organisations (we _are_ writers and
editors, after all!), but any worthy charity (children's
charities, food banks) would be a suitable user of the
book.

For a copy of the cookboook, tune your browser to:

http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/bblinn/

and download to your heart's (this Hart's?) content. You'll
find two different sets of files: Adobe Acrobat PDF files,
which you need the Acrobat reader application (available at
www.adobe.com) to read and print, and postscript printer
files that you can copy to or download to any postscript
printer, including a filmsetter.

To catch any last-minute gremlins, have a look at the
output to be sure it's OK; for example, the Acrobat version
has a few mysteries remaining (e.g., curly quotes randomly
changed to straight quotes) but otherwise looks fine to us.
If you encounter a problem, let me know; I can send along
replacement pages on request.

One small glitch to fix next year: the book is formatted so
that it will fit two pages at a time (side by side in
landscape format) on 8.5 X 11 paper to reduce printing
costs. (Sadly, there's no obvious way to print both copies
directly onto the same sheet of paper at this point; you'll
have to leave that to a commercial printer or service
bureau, or do it manually.) If you're outside North America
and use A4 paper, this makes the headers and footers crop a
bit tightly. It's not a catastrophe, but neither is it the
optimal solution. You can probably print the files at a 95%
final size and get good results. If there's significant
demand for an A4 format version, I can work on this over the
next few weeks.