Re: Capitalization of small cap brand name

Subject: Re: Capitalization of small cap brand name
From: "Wayne J. Douglass" <wayned -at- VERITY -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 09:32:58 -0800

At 05:34 AM 1/8/97 -0500, Ellen Roddy wrote:
>This is a rather silly question, but I need to ask it. How does anyone
>out there handle capitalization of a product name (that uses small caps)
>if it is the first word in a sentence. Some examples are shown below.
>
>improvit is the best Statistical Process Control package on the market
>today.
>
>Improvit is the best Statistical Process Control package on the market
>today.
>
>The software package name is also bolded (as if that makes any
>difference).

Keep it lower case, especially if it is trademarked that way. Having it in
bold helps the reader know that it is a product name deliberately spelled
that way. If you use an unusual typeface as part of the product/corporate
identity (for example the Exxon logo), then duplicate that in the text.

--Wayne Douglass