Help Desk Documentation Summary (long)

Subject: Help Desk Documentation Summary (long)
From: Keith Anderson <kanderso -at- TRI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 17:32:54 -0500

Well, I guess it's time to take this subject to the list.

Originally I posted a message looking for technical writers with
experience in Help Desk documentation. My assignment is writing future
standards for all aspects of the Help Desk. Implementation could take up
to two years. I received numerous requests for a summary. I could not
respond to everyone individually and I apologize. Thanks for your input
and requests. If you do have more on this subject, please feel free to
email me.

Below is a summary of the responses I received:

1. Do you or your fellow writers have time to sit with the help desk and
listen to calls? I have found this to be very beneficial when one is
constructing help desk material. (Each environment is different and
dependent upon complexity of the software and knowledge of the user.)
What you might perceive as an important task may not be and vice versa.
Allocate 2 to 5 days. This amount of time should give you a good focus.

Regards,

Philip J. Hellerman
Phil -dot- Hellerman -at- MCI -dot- Com

>2. Heh. More stuff than you can possibly imagine. Our experience setting
>up an intranet for what amounted to a Help desk for a large chip company
>in Silicon Valley was that the more information we collected and
>organized, the more they realized they needed. What they eventually
>committed to was an initial deployment of an intranet that had some
>information, but also had properly labelled "holes" into which they
>would put other information downstream. The fundamental idea was that
>this intranet was going to be dynamic, partially because it was
>accessible by everyone and thus subject to everyone's concept of what
>they needed.
>
>The lesson from this is that you've got yourself a long-term contract.
>
>Elna Tymes
>Los Trancos Systems
etymes -at- lts -dot- com

> [...]
>what you are documenting. I think HTML is your best bet. Reasons I say
>this:
>
> - HTML is easy to create (especially if it's for internal use and
>does not need to be fancy)
> - HTML is (by it's nature) perfect for the cross references and
>cascading procedures you'll need to
> document
> - HTML is platform independent
> - HTML is easy to make available enterprise-wide and can be
>centrally updated on the fly without having
> to recompile anything or copy anything to anyone's C: drive
> - It's easy to convert existing docs to HTML; and, using
>something like Frame or Word, you can make
> one document and just use "save as," depending on what format
>you want: print or on-line
> - Later next year you'll be able to migrate all of your HTML docs
>to Microsoft's new "HTML Help"
> platform, which will make it easier to make your docs available
>to individual users on the Internet itself
> for your "Knowledge Base"; plus, with the HTML Help, you'll be
>able to compile all of your docs into
> "compressed HTML" and distribute them with the software itself
>on a disk or CD
> - With the HTML links, it will be easy to create multiple
>"paths" of links for a tech in training or for a more
>experienced tech; as a bonus (if I'm not mistaken), HTML Help will
>support Information Types so you
> can make different levels of information available to different
>people
> - The HTML experience will look great on your resume
>
>You can download the HTML Help beta from microsoft.com. Also, I've been
>using the Internet Assistant for Word to create simple HTML docs.
>However, you might be better off with something like Frontpage, which
>will allow you to easily manage whole site maps.
>
>Good luck. Hope this helps.
>
>Daniel Read
>Simon Systems, Inc.
>danielread -at- juno -dot- com

>4. I would recommend capturing calls, keeping track where users are having
>problems, surveying technicians about where the weak spots in user
>knowledge, and compiling same into a "support" document. You can then
>the users are having problems.
>
>The hardest part of writing user documentation is guessing what the
>user wants, where the problems may be, and how the user will use the
>product. The support technicians will become very familiar (probably
>very quickly) with where the user documentation will fall down.
>
>I would suggest a checklist form with some common areas of concern
>that the technician can check off during the conversation with the
>user. Maybe include some fill-in boxes for those problems that are
>not listed. Have the technician get specific details, if possible,
>about how the user got in trouble, and what was not understood. If
>this can be done on-line, the technician can quickly enter comments
>and notes that can be gathered and compiled for QC.

Thanks again for your interest.
Keith Anderson

The Registry
Documentation Services Practice