Re: Checking the checkers

Subject: Re: Checking the checkers
From: Melonie Holliman <mrh -at- ABMDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 07:57:25 -0600

Howdy:

About checking the checkers, I used to work with an manager
who would not review the document until blueline. At that
time, I worked in a documentation group and he worked in
another department. Seems like our solution was to threaten
that the next time he did it, it came out of his budget, not
ours. I don't remember it happening again.

In fact, we had a policy which stated if a document had to
be reprinted because of a technical error which should have
been caught by an engineer, that department paid for it.
When this was initiated, reviewers started paying closer
attention. It does seem to work if you make them take
responsibility for technical accuracy. Now, I am not sure
how you would do that if there are no reprocussions (like
budget or management coming down on them).

Melonie Holliman
Tech Writer
ABM Data Systems