FrameMaker booklet answers (long)

Subject: FrameMaker booklet answers (long)
From: Stephanie Holland <SLHOLLAND -at- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 11:28:43 -0700

Hi everyone --

Thanks for your help with our FrameMaker problem. Here is a snip of my
original post along with a compilation of people's suggestions. The
short answer is that FrameMaker can't (easily) do what we want.

<snip>
>"I'm trying to make a booklet with FrameMaker. The kind I mean is where
>you use 8 1/2 x 11 sheets folded in half and have two pages printed on
>each sheet. The page numbering for this type of project gets
>complicated when you try to have FrameMaker generate two page numbers
>per folded sheet and when you try to have continuous numbering on
back-to-back sheets.
<snip>

Here are people's suggestions:
Here is a hack if no one comes back with a good answer. Use a template
of
normal 8 1/2 by 11 paper (portrait orientation). The page numbering
will
look fine. When you go to print it out, use the Thumbnails feature.
Set
rows to 1 and column to 2. You'll get a booklet size print out.
Unless Frame has added a feature within the last year, you cannot create
a book like you want. I did it, but manually. (You do not want to go
there.) Frame has an add-on product that is listed in their partners
book.
Basically, I laid out a landscape page with two disconnected text frames
on the page. Then, add however many pages you will need for your
booklet.
Keep in mind one page will equal two, but you know that. I manually put
page numbers under each text block on all the pages or include a footer
area that can contain the page numbers and whatever else you need to put
there.

Now comes the tricky part. You have to go in and connect all the text
blocks in the order that the text will flow. Make the links starting
on the right side of the first page which is linked to the left side of
the following page to the right of the next, etcetera. When you get to
the last page (the middle of the document), link to the left side to the
right and then work backwards, linking the remaining blocks. It's takes
some thought, but it does work.

Don't try to make any edits in this layout, it will drive you bonkers.
Instead, do it in a regular layout (with an appropriately sized text
block) and import it into your booklet template.

I put in dummy text with top-of-page numbered headers to make
sure I got the flow right before I brought in the real document. I've
used my template for a few in-house training guides and it has worked
well. I'd be happy to send the template to you on disk or possibly
e-mail
it to you if the server at my freeport cooperates.
The short answer is FrameMaker can't handle two logical pages
on one physical page.

You have two alternatives:
1) Forget about Frame's page numbering ability and instead create
your own. Make a paragraph format, call it PageNum, and use the
autonumbering ability to create your page numbers. For cross-references
you can also cross-ref the PageNum paragraph tag. It is awkward,
but possible. I think the same technique will also work for TOCs and
idexes, but I haven't tried it yet.

2) Forget about using 8.5x11. Redefine your master page to be 5.5x8.5.
and put one page per sheet. Depending upon your printer, you may still
be able to print those little pages onto 8.5x11. Test it and find
out. If you are lucky, you may even be able to control where on the
8.5x11 page the smaller page will print. If this is the case, you can
print all the odd number pages on the right side of the sheets, then
re-insert the sheets, shift the printing location, and print out the
even numbered pages. Don't overlook the possibility of combining
two small pages onto one large one using your photocopier. I've done
brochures that way. If your reproduction is done by a service bureau
or other printer, talk with them about this. They may prefer each
little page to be on its own sheet!
I create each page with two text frames.
One text frame is Flow "A". The other is Flow "B". Flow A goes forward
from page 1 to whatever page is halfway through the booklet, and hops
from the right side of the first 8.5 x 11 sheet to the left side of the
second
sheet, back to the right side of the third sheet, and so on. Flow B
starts
at the middle of the book (which is the last page of the FrameMaker
file),
and goes backward to the front of the book. Sounds confusing, I know,
but
it prints correctly on in duplex on 8.5 x 11 paper.
I recently went through
the same process. It's a lot of work but worth the effort if you're
going
to use it often.

Set up a landscape page with two columns ("Basic Page Design," 18-10).
When you fold the paper, each column becomes a page. Make a paper
mockup
and number the pages. Now take the and you'll see columns will go on
the
same page.

FC--BC 1--6 2--5 3--4

For example, the front cover and the back cover will be different
columns
on the same piece of paper. Once you've done that, use the "Connect
Text
Frames" command in the Format menu to send the text to the correct
column
on the correct page ("Flow Design," 20-10). It can quickly get
confusing.
Putting the page numbers in the footer before you start helps keep you
oriented.
(The following is the response from my co-worker who needs the
FrameMaker help. I sent the post on her behalf. -- Stephanie)

I am still investigating third-party software options. One that our
parent company has used successfully is ClickBook, but so far it only
works with Windows 3.1 and 95 and we use Windows NT. You can reach
ForeFront (they make ClickBook) at http://www.ffg.com. There is a beta
version of ClickBook for NT and you can get on their list of testers.

Another third-party option is available from Ultimate Technographics.
The URL for their website is http://www.ultimate-tech.com/.