Re: Small Talk

Subject: Re: Small Talk
From: Mitch Berg <mberg -at- IS -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 10:59:13 -0600

Dawn Langley wrote:

> I need to know how daunting SmallTalk would be to learn for someone with
> absolutely no programming language experience.

As luck would have it, I'm doing exactly this. I love SmallTalk...

If you have NO programming background, but can develop some
understanding of Object Orientation (more on that later), you may have
an easier time than someone with someone with _some_ experience in other
languages. Smalltalk is a "Pure Object" language, which is a big
concept to digest for someone who's been working in a procedural
language (like C or COBOL), or even a hybrid Object language (C++,
Object Pascal).

It's a neat language, with a very elegant syntax. And, with the help of
a good tutorial, it's not too difficult. Best of all, there's a fairly
slick freeware version of Smalltalk, Smalltalk V with WindowBuilder,
(goto http://www.objectshare.com) which comes with a Windows (16-bit)
GUI programming environment.

Let me know if you want more info.