Learning Java or Javascript

Subject: Learning Java or Javascript
From: rbickham -at- MICRON -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 08:10:22 MST

I have seen a few comments and question on learning Java and would like to throw
my couple cents in. I am learning a lot of the new web stuff and have found a
lot of applications that will compile the Java code (including the class files)
for you. As far as learning Java, it has a very steep learning curve. Whether
is is worth it or not depends on what you need it for. For the most part, I
feel that the Java applications you can purchase are able to meet most of the
basic needs. There are several small shareware programs out there. Check out
Macromedia's AppletAce or Sausage Software's Clickette (not shareware, but it
doesn't cost much and has a two week trial period) for some simple Java
applications. I believe Javascript is the better "programming language" (I use
that term loosely, as Javascript is not really a programming language). The
learning curve is less, and Javascript is able to do a lot of what Java is able
to do. Javascript also loads a lot faster. There are a lot of Javascript
tutorials on the WEB. Search on Javascript+tutorial or send me an email and I
can direct you towards some of the locations that I have found to be good.

Good Luck
Randy Bickham

"funny things are everywhere" Dr. Suess