Re: Editors -Reply

Subject: Re: Editors -Reply
From: Stacey Marner <marners -at- CORSAIR -dot- MANTECH-WVA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 12:57:07 EST

I will save messages and I'll post them once the topic starts to die
down.

The audience varies but for the most part, it's executives who have
just a little more technical knowledge than I do. I have bought many,
many reference books, including Webster's 10th. I would like to find
some good technical dictionaries. I bought the _Wired style guide
which is interesting but I think too progressive for us to adopt here.
What are some good ones?

I understand that a piece of writing should be edited various times
but that's just not reality here. Writer's have deadlines and when
time runs low, they choose to spend it on additional content rather
than perfecting what they have. I'm not sure I can affect that one.

I do think some of this needs to come from management. Although they
are very supportive and understand the importance of editing, they're
not very proactive in promoting me. I'm not sure how much of that I'm
willing to do myself. Because of the impressions of past editors, I
try to be as friendly, helpful and non-threatening as possible. There
are teams here but I can't seem to figure when the writing assignments
are decided. Even if I did, I'm not sure I could just invite myself
to the meetings.

I have written a style guide and we tried a workshop and although it
was a great discussion, there were not many people there. I would
love to do more of these but I'm not sure I'm willing to unless I get
more managerial support.

Subject: Editors -Reply
Author: Bill Sullivan <bsullivan -at- smtplink -dot- deltecpower -dot- com> at Internet
Date: 1/16/97 12:31 PM