Re: Web Page Appearance

Subject: Re: Web Page Appearance
From: Shmuel Ben-Artzi <sba -at- NETMEDIA -dot- NET -dot- IL>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 07:43:27 +0200

Matt and all,

I am personally a great believer in using ALT tags. Use them all the time.
But I recently saw a posting either here or on my Web development list
which stated that this creates a problem with at least some of the search
engines. It seems that the search paradigm used by the spiders adds the ALT
definitions, at least those found in the opening part of a site, into the
database. For this reason, the poster said that they have gone to defining
all ALT tags as ALT="".

Any comments on this? This certainly defeats the purpose of the tag. But,
at the same time, nobody wants to see their site being indexed on
meaningless terms like "xxx banner". Would this also be a problem for
sites, such as those maintained by many of our people, which use onsite
database engines to index massive document libraries?

Shalom,

Shmuel Ben-Artzi
Netanya, Israel
sba -at- netmedia -dot- net -dot- il