Re: Citing Sources

Subject: Re: Citing Sources
From: Stacey Marner <marners -at- CORSAIR -dot- MANTECH-WVA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 08:37:14 EST

Michael wrote:
Hypothetically, if a technical writer draws on another document for
information in a manual, is it sufficient to supply a bibliography
with the manual or does every individual fact need to be cited in some
way?

This should be fine unless you are quoting. In one of our documents
we were paraphrasing rules and regulations and so there weren't a
whole lot of ways to say it. The end product was different but looked
similar in structure to the original. Since it was paraphrasing, we
did include it in the bibliography but since it was so similar, we
included an intext reference basically thanking this agency and
additionally adding authority to our text. It came off looking pretty
good. I don't think we were required to do the additional citing but
it worked well. There is some interesting information in the _Chicago
_Manual _of _Style.

Stacey