Re: Intranets

Subject: Re: Intranets
From: Bruce Covell <brucec -at- CCTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 07:34:32 +0000

> Fellow travelers,
>
> Do any of you have experience working with intranets? If so,
> could you explain to me if they are really like a private
> Internet for your organization, complete with company-wide Web
> server, or something completely different? Do you find them
> useful for information distribution and retrieval within your
> organization, moreso than say Lotus Notes or cc:Mail bulletin
> boards?
>
> Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
>

> - Dennis Callaghan
> SunGard Capital Markets Inc.
> Philadelphia, Pa.
> dcallaghan -at- sungard -dot- com

Intranets usually are just like an internet within your organization.
They run off a web server, but usually behind the corporate firewall.

Their usefulness depends on what you make available and how you make
it available. If you have a homogeneous environment, only MS Windows
users, for example, then Lotus Notes and email bulletin boards can
compete effectively in many areas. However, if you have a
heterogeneous environment, UNIX, MS Windows, and Mac for example,
then you can't beat an intranet as a medium for information
distribution.

Intranets really shine in a heterogeneous environment, however,
when you begin to deploy formerly platform limited enterprise
applications newly re-written in Java. This lets users run
traditional MIS applications (or anything else) from any platform.

Cheers,

Bruce Covell