Re: Editor's problems [Ref:C872728]

Subject: Re: Editor's problems [Ref:C872728]
From: Tom Tomasovic <Tom -dot- Tomasovic -at- NA -dot- NWMARKETS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 20:56:21 +0000

Stacey:

Before getting started, are you aware of Copyediting-L? It seems to me that
there are some of the TECHWR-Lers on that list, and that its inhabitants would
be most receptive to this type of question. It's located at:

listproc -at- cornell -dot- edu

On to my HO:

1. CMS (14th ed., 7.56) says there is generally no reason to capitalize
"government", and I would tend to agree, even in the case of "U.S. government"
and especially in the case of "federal government". However, I am in my "lower
case" phase.

2. I would use "Life-Cycle", "Database", and "Design/Develop" for titles.

3. For terms which become acronyms, I would capitalize the expanded version as
appropriate, regardless of the acronym status (e.g., assistant vice president =
AVP, Department of Defense = DoD or DOD), wherever it appears. Don't know of
any rule which requires it to be capped when it first appears, but . . .
OTOH, some people will take any excuse/reason to use caps.

Once again, just my $.02

Regards,

Tom <<Tom -dot- Tomasovic -at- na -dot- nwmarkets -dot- com>>

You should be aware that the information contained within this message is solely
the opinion of the writer (me). The people at NatWest have little control over
how I express myself, and they should not be held responsible for anything I say
(unless, of course, I express it as a corporate opinion).

Subject: Editor's problems [Ref:C872728]
Author: INTERNET TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU at Multimessage
Date: 1/20/97 8:14 PM

1. When to capitalize "government?"

2. When two words are hyphenated together (we do life-cycle a lot even though
it's not correct) and the words are part of a capitalized title, would you cap
both or just the first? I've had writers use "database" as part of the expanded
acronym. They'll use both the "D" and the "B" and write it "DataBase." I have
the same question with words that are slashed together (Design/develop).

3. Is there some rule that when an acronym is introduced for the first time in
a document, that it's expanded form is always capped?