Re: Sticky Situation

Subject: Re: Sticky Situation
From: Brian Martin <bmartin -at- NMO -dot- GTEGSC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 10:05:01 -0800

> Steve Arrants wrote about a neighbor, Jean, who felt cheated because a
> new-hire with less experience is being paid 15% more than she is.
>
> Did the neighbor willingly agree to work for what she is earning? In my
> opinion, her employer is living up to the agreement and Jean has no
> grounds for complaint. If she were contracting the job and her client
> awarded a different contract to another writer for a higher fee, could
> Jean go back and raise her rates? No way. Yes, it seems unfair, but any
> adult worker should know that sharing salary information with co-workers
> only leads to someone feeling cheated. Jean should work hard, mind her
> own business and press for a substantial increase at her next review.

I agree that Jean accepted a job at a certain rate and that she should continue
to work at that rate. But only until she finds a better paying job. It might be
at the same company, might not. Jean should be prepared to fight and win, and
also fight and lose.

Is she working only for the money or are there other benefits of her employment
that make her want to stay? Good training or retraining? Is it the only job in
town? Is it an employer's market or an employee's market?

There is no mention of whether Jean's boss feels she is just as qualified. Jean
thinks so, but is this the case in the eyes of the employer?

You only get what you want if you prepare yourself. I don't mean educationally
either. Get mentally tough. Get what you want.