Re: Intranets

Subject: Re: Intranets
From: Beth Mazur <mazur -at- MAYA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 13:05:47 -0500

Dennis writes:

>> Do any of you have experience working with intranets? If so, could you
>> explain to me if they are really like a private Internet for your
>> organization, complete with company-wide Web server, or something
>> completely different? Do you find them useful for information
>> distribution and retrieval within your organization, moreso than say
>> Lotus Notes or cc:Mail bulletin boards?

I maintain the web server here at MAYA. We have a fairly extensive intranet
in place. Besides serving up documents (e.g., policies, HR information), we
also use our intranet as a method to collect and manage employee timesheets,
catalog the entries in our library, and enter/query bugs for one of our
software interface projects.

Our primary reason for using web-based technology for this, besides the low
cost, is the ability to serve so many different platforms easily. We're
a fairly small shop, but staff here is relatively evenly divided between
PC, Macintosh, and UNIX platforms.

I'll be presenting a session on intranets at the STC conference in Toronto.
I've started collecting some online resources; if you'd like, you can check
them out at http://www.maya.com/local/mazur/STC97/intranet.html.

Beth Mazur
mazur -at- maya -dot- com