Re: Military Time

Subject: Re: Military Time
From: Frank Harper <Frank -dot- Harper -at- ES -dot- ATL -dot- SITA -dot- INT>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 07:22:06 -0600

Lars Helge Semb wrote:
>Now, if you're meaning to use full military time, you should make sure it's
>in Standard Time, not local time, and add the word "Zulu" after it, as "1015
>Zulu."

You're right, you have to say 1015 Zulu, but here in Norway we also sometimes
use "1115 Alpha" (local time of 1015 Zulu).

Q: Does "Alpha" means one time ahead of "Zulu" or just that it is local time?

I spent 22 years in the Air Force Communications Command and we always referred
to "Zulu' time as GMT. However, we never used "Alpha" in referring to local
time, only Local.

As for milirary time, it is simply the 24hour designation of time, regardless of
the time zone. 0900Local is simply 9:00 am local time.

BTW, I believe people in Europe use the 24 hour clock as a standard way of
expressing time.

fh