Report Coming

Subject: Report Coming
From: Jason Galea <jgalea -at- TXBASE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 15:48:43 -0500

On Jan 21, I wrote, "currently, I'm compiling research on the
readability of on-line help..." Since then, I've had a few responses
pointing me in various directions. Thanks to everyone who responded.

From the questions I've subsequently received, I realize that my initial
>posting was vague. I'm looking for case studies that compare different
>approaches to on-line help. In particular, I'm interested in task oriented
>help compared to process oriented help, the depth of information that should
>be presented in on-line help, and whether it is better to reduce the size of
>pop-up fields by dividing help into several levels or better to present
information in one or two levels. Because of the sparse amount of
published material dealing specifically with "on-line readability," I
suspect it will take me a while to compile a substantial amount of
information-let alone write a review.

I realize that many of you are interested in this report. I have no
qualms about sharing my results; after all, that's what we're on this
mailing list for. So I will make my report available when it is
complete. Until then, please keep a lookout for good material and
inform me if you find any.

Thanks
Jason
Toronto, Ontario