Re: A resume question

Subject: Re: A resume question
From: Chris Boehm <Chris -dot- Boehm -at- INEACORP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 09:28:48 -0500

I do include my German proficiency on my resume. It helped me get a job
in Germany. I have also gone on interviews where they appreciate it
being there, because so many companies are going international.

Fluency can be hard to judge. I can get along in German (hold a
conversation, buy groceries, open a bank account, rent an apartment,
etc.), but I still wouldn't call myself fluent. I let them judge fluency
for themselves, but I also provide the facts that I have earned a
language certificate and advanced language certificate from my alma
matter (Michigan Tech). I also state that I passed the first level of
the Goethe Institut's certification test.

The Goethe Institut (in Ann Arbor, MI?), will test people at many
different levels ( in German), and is a good way to gauge fluency. I'm
sure other languages have such tests and certification.

A university in your area that has a foreign language program should be
able to tell you what kinds of certification is available.

I would encourage your coworkers to take the certification tests (and
get the company to pay for the testing). I think it lends a bit of
credibility.

Hope this helps,
Chris