Advice for beginners

Subject: Advice for beginners
From: "LOWERY, MELISSA" <MLOWERY -at- SCANA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 11:36:01 -0500

As you may remember, I posted a series of questions a few weeks ago
about advice to give those wanting to move from academia to tech
writing. I received many wonderful posts from lots of people here and on
them by topic, and adding my own .02 worth to the subject. I am going to
make the finished product available to anyone who wants it and
especially to anyone who wants to help further disseminate it.

I am hoping that in addition to providing it via e-mail upon request
(which is all I can do), that someone with access to web site space
(especially if it's part of a Tech Writing or related site) might
volunteer to host the information. I would even go through the process
of coding it in HTML and getting it web-ready. I'm not sure how large
the final files will be, but so far the Word file is going to be about
200KB. I know that HTML coding will add to that, but it still shouldn't
be too large of a set of files to reasonably host.

If anyone is interested in hosting this information, you can contact me
directly. When it is available via e-mail (it may take a few days since
I just recently changed jobs), I'll post that fact to the list. If
someone does agree to host the information on their web site, I'll
forward that information along when it's ready.

Meanwhile, if anyone else has some advice they'd like to add to the
collection, please feel free to send it to me. I am mainly aiming the
advice collection at English or other "writing" majors who want to make
the transition from academic writing to technical writing, but any
advice aimed at beginners is welcome. I hope to continue to update and
add to this collection in the future by culling tidbits from this list
and others, as well as adding links to other information resources.

Thanks for your help.

Melissa Lowery
mlowery -at- scana -dot- com