Re: Version Release Notes

Subject: Re: Version Release Notes
From: Kat Nagel/MasterWork <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 18:24:26 -0500

>For those of you who write version release notes, do you refer back to
>the parts of the manual affected in the release notes themselves? Do
>customers find this helpful? Distracting? Do you think it's a good idea?

From a user's perspective, I appreciate having that information as long as
it is COMPLETE.

You see, I lose release notes. I -know- I'm going to lose them. Sooo, I
like to make some sort of note in the manual for every change that could
trip me up somehow.

If the information about the location isn't right there in the notes, then
I have to spend time I can't afford to try and think of every possible
weird way the subject could be listed in the index, look it up, decide
whether this is really relevant to the change, etc. If you save me time by
-telling- me what parts of the manual are affected, I will think Very
Good Thoughts about you and your company.

@Kat _______________________________ katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net
Kat Nagel MasterWork Consulting Services, Rochester, NY
Technical writing / Document design / Publications planning

"The transformation of calories into words, of words into money, and of
money into calories again are the three basic cycles in a freelance
writer's metabolism."
/Mary Kittredge, _Poison Pen_