minimalism training

Subject: minimalism training
From: Thom Remington <remingtf -at- ENGG-MAIL -dot- LVS -dot- DUPONT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 08:38:18 -0500

There have been some interesting suggestions for "trial by fire" methods of
learning minimalism. Here's another:

Some years back, I sold radio advertising (WNPV, Lansdale Pennsylvania, 1440
on your AM dial. The voice of the North Penn Valley.) I also wrote copy and
recorded spots. It was interesting, but not a wonderful way to earn a
living. (I did get to do an interview with Bill Bergey, middle linebacker
for the Philadelphia Eagles, just after he announced his retirement.)

So here's the challenge: Get your message across in a 30- or 60-second spot.
As a rule of thumb, we found that about 7 or 8 typewritten lines (remember
typewriters?) would run about 30 seconds. That's 420 to 480 characters,
folks. Not much.