Re: "Good" Web Pages

Subject: Re: "Good" Web Pages
From: Dick Miller <DICK_MILLER -at- HP-VANCOUVER-OM10 -dot- OM -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 07:11:34 -0800

Earl, et al:

Check out the Web site at http://www.blackstar.com/webcenter/checklist.html
for a checklist on Web document design. It's from a commercial outfit, so
be prepared for a little (but not much) advertising.

Yale Medical School has a style manual at
http://info.med.yale.edu/caim/StyleManual_Top.HTML.

--Dick Miller

Author: Non-HP-WorkgWords (WorkgWords -at- AOL -dot- com) at HP-Vancouver,mimegw10
Date: 1/29/97 6:17 PM

In a message dated 97-01-29 16:04:12 EST, Mike Markley writes:

<< What is "good" when it comes to Web pages/documentation? >>

For the Web, I would put general appearance high on the list. This includes
colors, font size, and background graphics. Some pages are really gaudy. Some
have backgrounds that make your eyes hurt when you try to read the text.

The size and number of graphics are important for download time. I don't like
pages that take forever to download and then not have the information I need.

It's often a good idea to segment the content in small pieces that download
quickly, and so the user can go straight to the part needed without wading
through a lot of other stuff. But be careful about having too many intro
pages that don't provide any benefit (either in content or navigation).

Earl Morton
WorkgWords -at- aol -dot- com