Re: Minimalism

Subject: Re: Minimalism
From: Lisa Higgins <lisa -at- DRDDO1 -dot- EI -dot- LUCENT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 09:20:21 +0000

Couple of quick points, which I hope will discourage further
"corrections."

1) The examples I gave as "standards" were meant to illustrate the
fact that standards may be common or understood to some, while not to
others. Nowhere did I claim that all toilet handles are or should be
in the same location. The point was that we cannot assume that
standards are broadly understood without fairly good evidence that
our audience does understand them as such. I thought the paragraph
immediately prior to my terribly controversial statements was fairly
clear. Either it was not, or the text was taken out of context and
interpreted out of context from that point on.

2) I was the one who mentioned The Psychology/Design of Everyday
Things, not the person to whom it was attributed. Yes, the title was
changed at some point from Psychology to Design, but it is still
frequently referred to as POET. And yes, someone else on the list did
cite it before I did, and more thoroughly at that.

Sufficiently Chastised,
Lisa Higgins
lhiggins -at- lucent -dot- com