Re: Minimalism

Subject: Re: Minimalism
From: Sara Schoenberg <sschoenb -at- SCTCORP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 16:23:28 EST

Lissa Higgins wrote:

<snip>

<<I want that Push sign because, dang it, I'm scared. I'm going to do
something stupid. I'm going to break the door, look like an idiot,
and everyone will laugh at me forever.

That idiot sign gives me just that little boost of confidence I need
to rehearse looking cool as I approach the door. Yessirree, Bub. I am
the Queen of Cool. Check ME out, opening the door correctly on the
first try.>>

<snip>

I know that feeling. But I think part of the point being made in this thread is that the
reason you feel scared and afraid of looking stupid is that you have been the
frequent victim of using doors where the standard bar to push and a handle to pull
was violated. And so your present anxiety over what to do every time you
approach a door induced by bad design. (Think about that and software
design...) If push were always done in a "push" design. and similarly with pull, then
the need for labels gets minimized, maybe even eliminated.

Sara