Mobility in Tw

Subject: Mobility in Tw
From: Dawn Langley <CDLangley -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 21:34:45 -0500

I was speaking with someone the other day and was disappointed by her
comments concerning Tw and mobility. She stated that her friend was in Tw but
left the profession because there was "no chance for upward mobility." From
our discussion, I gleaned that the mobility in question was less centered on
prestige and more focused on salary. When I inquired about this person's
background, I think her mother was a lawyer, and her father was a doctor
(surgeon) or vice versa. Clearly, she entered the wrong profession if she
expected Tw to provide the salary she had witnessed her parents make over the
years. Nonetheless, the conversation started me thinking....

1. What are the chances for mobility in Tw in terms of climbing the
corporate ladder (entry, jr., and senior levels?)?
2. Has any study been conducted to uncover the predominant backgrounds of
people entering Tw? Since it is basically a profession that rests in the
middle-class economic bracket, I would assume that those in the profession
predominantly hail from middle-class backgrounds. As evidenced by my
conversation, I believe that our parents' professions and incomes can behave
as gauges for our own attempts at success (barring the radical individual who
attempts to exceed or fall short of those expectations).

Generalizations appreciated (and anticipated, given the nature of the topic).

Dawn
http://members.aol.com/cdlangley/techcomm/dawn.html