Re: Online vs. Paper

Subject: Re: Online vs. Paper
From: Mitch Berg <mberg -at- IS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 10:53:55 -0600

For me, the Online v. Paper debate is not so much an issue of "Where is
the Market Going", as "What do specific *User Profiles* demand?"
(Bearing in mind, of course, that a user group's management IS part of
their Profile).

I can't tell you how many times I've done online (FrameViewer, HTML and
especially WinHelp) dox gigs for companies that swore "Online is our
future" - and who called me back three months later asking if there were
any way to produce a print version of the project. Their users simply
demanded a print-usable version of the product, and printing the HTML
(or worse, WinHelp) pages simply isn't good enough.

I remember sitting through a lecture at the STC convo in Minneapolis in
1994, where Prof. Farkas (of the U of Washington, and noted author on
online topics) declared "Print is dead". A number of us in the audience
asked, sotto voce, "...and how many moons orbit your home world,
Professor?"