Re: Browser-specific HTML

Subject: Re: Browser-specific HTML
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 10:27:18 -0800

Bill asked:

>Anyone have any thoughts on writing HTML to specific Browsers versus
>writing it to the 3.2 standard?

And Elsa answered:
>We write for the latest version (non-beta) version of Netscape Navigator.
>The Connect Schlumberger site is access limited, and we'll give clients the
>browser if they don't have it. Providing the browser provides some
>uniformity in what's displayed on the screen.

Even if you give clients the "correct" browser, how can you be sure they
take it and use it?

IM(not so)HO, writing to a specific browser takes away the best feature
of HTML -- it's not seamlessly cross-platoform anymore. Additionally --
(oh, waitaminit...) <soapbox> users deserve the right to control their
own desktops -- and that includes the browser software they use!
</soapbox>

Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com
-- The _Guide_ is definitive.