Re: Query: Using Word's Hidden Text as a conditional text hack

Subject: Re: Query: Using Word's Hidden Text as a conditional text hack
From: Jay Mead <jlmead -at- OURAY -dot- CUDENVER -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 19:16:31 -0700

Roy:

I had the same problem you have, and hacked together conditional text in
Word by
using templates and bookmarks. Note that I did NOT have the Help File
component of your problem--someone else will have to ride to your
rescue on that. But here's my Word/conditional text approach:

It's been a year, but as I remember I simply inserted a reference to a
bookmark in the main document, and then
wrote the individual text for each of the five flavors of my document and
copied a flavor's text to that flavor's template using the (same)
bookmark name. Then,
to print for Flavor A, I attached Template A, and when the bookmark
reference was reached the Flavor A text was inserted. To print the Flavor
B version, Template B, and so on.

It's fairly labor-intensive, but I used this scheme very successfully on a
number of enormous (500+ page) documents.

Let me know if you need more details.

Jay Mead
jay -dot- mead -at- den -dot- galileo -dot- com