Re: Platform of choice

Subject: Re: Platform of choice
From: "Wing, Michael J" <mjwing -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 08:14:22 -0600

>>Yet for some unfathomable reason neither NeXtStep, nor OS/2, nor MacOS
>>has had nearly the success, market share, or acceptance that Windows has
>>had (and still has). This despite their HUGE head start. Please
>>explain.
>
>Would you like to see the figures for the Windows 95 advertising
>budget? Remember the giant Windows 95 banner hanging from the CN
>Tower?

Are you saying that IBM, Apple and others were precluded from running a
heavy ad campaign?

>(Funny how they never ran pictures of some 60% of those being returned
>to the stores).

First I've heard of this number. I suppose you have some verification
of this percentage or did it just sound like an impressive figure to
toss about?

>>If Sun's been doing it for years, shouldn't they be dictating
>>the 'de facto' OS standard?
>
>Problem is, for four years it was almost impossible to buy a PC without
>DOS and Windows 3.x preloaded.

How hard was for the user to reformat the PC and load in their own OS?

C:\format
A:\install.exe

>Rather than charge hardware vendors on
>a per-installation basis for their operating systems, like everyone
>else did, Microsoft suckered most of them into a deal by which they got
>all the DOS/Windows licenses free as long as they paid MS a cut of
>every CPU they sent out the door.

UNIX was dumped for free on many universities. For a while students
graduated predisposed to UNIX. Were they suckered?

>When you turn on your PC and an operating system pops up, whether you
>asked for it or not, and you don't know enough about computers to
>change it... then that operating system becomes the 'de facto'
>standard, regardless of how mediocre it is or how many more advanced
>systems are available.

If I'm a user who doesn't know enough to change my OS, what's my
interest in a 'more advanced' OS? If that's the case, I'm probably just
word processing, drawing pictures, entering items in a
database/spreadsheet, or playing games.

>>Pioneering a technology is one thing. Developing it and bringing it
>>successfully to market is another.
>
>Advertising it is another matter altogether.

Where's the dividing line between bring a product to market and
advertising? Or are you agreeing with me?

>>It looks like developing and controlling the market in operating
>>systems were IBM's, Sun's, Apple's, and Next's to lose. They did!
>
>They developed and brought to market most of the advances you see in
>Win95 today, but did it years ago. Only problem was, they didn't spend
>huge bucks advertising it to the masses, and the mass media (PC
>Magazine and kin) were completely fixated on Windows... such that
>advanced features like object-oriented shells would get little mentions
>in "news bytes" columns, then be drowned out by big splashy ads for yet
>another Windows virus scanner.

Lot of sour grapes here buddy. Sit on them for a while you may have a
great vintage w(h)ine :^).

> Your friend and mine,
> Matt

Mike