Re: Life Priorities

Subject: Re: Life Priorities
From: Barb Philbrick <caslonsvcs -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 08:11:24 GMT

On Fri, 14 Feb 1997 11:25:40 -0600, you wrote:
> I am saying that most companies act in their own self
>interests. If they have a job that requires 50+ hour weeks for long
>durations, they serve themselves and the applicant's best interests by
>stating that there are long hours and pressure with the job.

As far as I can tell, no one has brought up the issue of productivity
when someone is working more than 50 hours a week for an extended
period of time.

My personal experience and the experience of several managers I know
has been that productivity decreases in this situation. One manager
has quantified results that productivity drops to the level of about
30 hours per week when employees worked for more than 50 hours per
week for more than three weeks. (The other managers and myself have
anecdotal evidence.)

From this, it seems to me that it is bad both for the business and for
your personal life to overwork.

Barb