Re: No Subject

Subject: Re: No Subject
From: Dawn Langley <CDLangley -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 22:59:58 -0500

In a message dated 97-02-14 10:25:37 EST, Stephen writes:

<< This is beginning to get very trite. One day of moaning and groaning is
fine. 2-3 days of griping is ridiculous. Let us get over it and get on with
our lives. Some of these topics of discussion are ridiculous....Furthermore,
why does everyone think what they have to say is so important that it must be
posted to the list. Enough is Enough. >>

Unfortunately, this post reflects a recurrent attitude on listservs. If a
topic is appropriate, it doesn't matter if 99% of the list population deems
it "trite" or "ridiculous," we shouldn't attempt to deny interested parties
their right to a legitimate discussion. I subscribe to lists where two or
three extremely vocal members can squelch a conversation and do so with
vengeance if they have already solidified their opinion on the matter. When I
encounter a thread of no interest, I simply "grin and bear it," allowing the
discussion to flow freely, devoid of negative interjections from me...and
most the time, I learn something new in the process.

On another note, could anyone provide me with information about publishing in
tech comm magazines? Most of the magazines I read abound with articles
published by professors and/or those who work directly in the field (neither
of which describes me at the moment). Would an article submitted by a person
lacking these characteristics be granted any significant consideration?

Dawn Langley, MA